Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Top Ten Toxic Ingriedients in Skin Care





Top 10: Toxic Ingredients

1. Lead- A neurotoxin that can accumulate in the body over time. Found in lipsticks, hair dyes, hair care, etc. Often listed as lead and lead acetate.

2. Mercury- Known to cause damage to the brain and diminish function. Found in mascaras, etc. Often listed as mercury, thimerosol, mercuric oxide, phenyl mercuric acetate, and phenyl mercuric benzoate.

3. Phthalates- These tiny plasticizers can cause infertility, feminization of baby boys and sperm damage. Found in "fragrance," nail polish, nail treatment, etc. Often listed as phthalate, dibutyl phthalate and diethyl phthalate. These tricky toxins can legally be left out of ingredient list, encompassed under "fragrance." So when buying a product that does not specify fragrance as being naturally derived, I suggest contacting the company.

4. Hydroquinone- This skin bleaching ingredient can cause ochronosis, an irreversible skin condition causing black and black raised bumps on the skin. Found in skin lighteners, anti-agers, hair color/bleach, SPF products, concealer, acne treatments, astringent/toners, etc. Often listed as hydroquinone.

5. Petroleum- Byproducts of this non-renewable, industrial resource still make their way into cosmetic products despite the high-incidence of cancer causing contaminants. Found in facial cleansers, moisturizers, facial treatments, styling products, eye make-up, soap, anti-perspirants, concealer, sunscreens, etc. Often listed as petroleum, petrolatum, petroleum distillates, mineral oil, mineral spirits, unspecified waxes and paraffins.

6. Parabens- These estrogen-mimickers have been found in breast tumors, linked to breast cancer and known tocause hormonal activity in the body. Found in deodorants, lotions, eye shadows, shampoos, facial cleansers, body washes, facial moisturizers, etc. Often listed as methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, (I pretty much avoid anything ending in "paraben").

7. Sodium Lauryl Sulfates- These commonly found chemicals have been shown to cause severe changes to the skin, though studies linking them to cancer are still debatable. Found in toothpastes, shampoos, facial cleansers, body wash, acne treatment, exfoliants, moisturizers, hair color/bleach, etc. Often listed as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium dodecyl sulfate, sulfuric acid, monodecyl ester and monododecyl ester.

8. Formaldehyde - This awful enbalmer is not just awful smelling, it is also known to cause respiratory irritation as well as cancercancer. Found in nail polish, baby soaps, eye lash adhesives, hair products, sunscreens, etc. Often listed as formaldehyde, formalin, formic aldehyde, Merthaldehyde, methanal, methyl aldehyde, oxomethane, oxymethylene.

9. Coal Tar- A known carcinogen that still makes its way in to beauty products used daily. Found in shampoo, skin treatment, anti-redness creams, bath oils, conditioners, bath salts, bath soaks, etc. Often listed as coal, tar and coal tar solution.

10. Food Allergens- Though little research is currently available on the subject, food allergies and sensitivities can cause rashes, irritation and breakouts. My suggestion is to check all labels for any ingredients that may be of concern to you.

1. Parabens were found in 18 out of 20 breast tumors in women. They also cause rapid growth of those tumors?

2. Methylparaben is exposed to sunlight it can cause skin aging and DNA.

3. Parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen which is known to play a role in breast cancer.

4. In individuals with normal skin, parabens are, for the most part, non-irritating and non-sensitizing. Parabens can, however, cause skin irritation and contact dermatitis and rosacea in individuals with paraben allergies, a small percentage of the general population.

5. Grapefruit seed extract that is promoted as a natural preservative was identified as containing artificial preservatives such as methylparaben.

6. Parabens are used as antmicrobials in our food.

WHAT CAN YOU DO:
1. Use Aluminum, paraben & chemical-free organic coconut oil deodorants.

2. Use natural toothpaste that is fluoride, paraben and sulfalte free

3. Use an all natural face wash. Dr. Bronner Magic Soaps that come in bar and liquid form are all natural. They contain organic oils such as coconut, eucalyptus, unscented baby-mild, citrus orange, rose and tea tree oil which is my favorite.

4. Use an all natural facial moisturizer such as Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut Oil Jojoba oil, and Almond oil. The Vitamin Shoppe has fantastic all natural facial moisturizers.

5. Watch what you put in your body. Check all food labels, eat organic as much as possible.

6. Use a all natural mineral foundation free of parabens and other harmful chemicals.

In this day and age we as consumers must be responsible and educated as to what is put on and in our bodies. We aren't gonna be able to avoid all of these chemicals because there in everything as well as other harmful chemicals. Don't make yourself nuts just be aware. I haven't always been on top of what I put on my body. I am only now learning about the toxic chemicals I have been putting on my body. Now I want to get this information out there to everyone so you can be better educated as well. Companies are out to make a buck at societies expense. Just be diligent and do your homework. Print out the list of toxic ingredients at the top of this post and check for those ingredients in food or cosmetics. It's a start, right? What is your feeling on this subject? I love your feedback.

10 comments:

  1. That is just scary. I am a new follower.
    ~Kimberlee
    www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the list..! It's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is a bit terrifying! I knew about petrolium, but not about the other ingredience being harmful in anyway. I'll have to go look at all my containers now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! The lotion I just put on my hands has mythelpareben in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really freaked out! Everything I put on myself and even my son has parabens in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know! The first ingredient I found out was bad was Propylen Glycol which I did another post about. I see that ingredient in Cetaphil Cleanser which was given to me to use on my baby. I was shocked to see the rest of the ingredients in Ceptaphil such as sulfates and parabens. Parabens are also in Johnson's Baby Lotions which really angered me. Now I am on a quest to rid my house of all these toxic substances. Like I said in my post, don't drive yourself nuts over it. Just be aware and do the best you can. There are so many products now that are phthalate, sulfate and paraben free. Your better of shopping at Whole foods, Trader Joes and The Vitamin Shoppe. I will be listing some safe natural products especially for babies in my next post, so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog! Very informative!
    I'm your newest follower. Pls hop by and follow me: http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this post...full of great info that everyone should know about. new follower here via social parade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!

    I'm your newest follower from the Bee Friendly blog hop:)Very informative, thanks! Also I just had to say I love the falling hearts:)

    Feel free to check out my blog here: inadaze13.blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please watch this video on the story of toxins in our cosmetics!

I love my city

I love my city
I grew up in an apartment right under the Brooklyn Bridge in Manhattan

One of my favorite You Tube Gurus

I finally found the perfect shade of Auburn

I finally found the perfect shade of Auburn
Loving my new haircolor, its Loreal Lightest Auburn and as they say in those Loreal commercials "Im In love".

My new hat

My new hat
Reminds me of the south!

My baby boy

My baby boy
Hes my joy!

My daughter

My daughter
They grow up so fast!

A much needed date night with the hubby

A much needed date night with the hubby