Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Here are a few upcoming posts that I am working on:
1. Toxic Free Skincare Products
2. Pretty in Pink Gloss Honorable Mentions
3. My Lust List (products I am lusting for)
4. Anti-Aging Secrets
5. Natural Skincare Remedies
6. My Beauty Routine (masks, scrubs, treatments ect..)
7. Cultural Beauty
8. My favorite Bronzers and Blushes
9. Latin Beauty ( I am half spanish and irish)
10.What was your first experience with makeup and beauty?
11.My journey in becoming an Esthetician, skincare expert and developing my own skincare line.
12.Makeup looks for spring such as, (emerald fairy, ocean goddess and sunset diva).
I am excited about these upcoming post and hope you will be staying tuned lovelies!
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Top 10: Toxic Ingredients
1. Lead- A neurotoxin that can accumulate in the body over time. Found in lipsticks, hair dyes, hair care, etc. Often listed as lead and lead acetate.
2. Mercury- Known to cause damage to the brain and diminish function. Found in mascaras, etc. Often listed as mercury, thimerosol, mercuric oxide, phenyl mercuric acetate, and phenyl mercuric benzoate.
3. Phthalates- These tiny plasticizers can cause infertility, feminization of baby boys and sperm damage. Found in "fragrance," nail polish, nail treatment, etc. Often listed as phthalate, dibutyl phthalate and diethyl phthalate. These tricky toxins can legally be left out of ingredient list, encompassed under "fragrance." So when buying a product that does not specify fragrance as being naturally derived, I suggest contacting the company.
4. Hydroquinone- This skin bleaching ingredient can cause ochronosis, an irreversible skin condition causing black and black raised bumps on the skin. Found in skin lighteners, anti-agers, hair color/bleach, SPF products, concealer, acne treatments, astringent/toners, etc. Often listed as hydroquinone.
5. Petroleum- Byproducts of this non-renewable, industrial resource still make their way into cosmetic products despite the high-incidence of cancer causing contaminants. Found in facial cleansers, moisturizers, facial treatments, styling products, eye make-up, soap, anti-perspirants, concealer, sunscreens, etc. Often listed as petroleum, petrolatum, petroleum distillates, mineral oil, mineral spirits, unspecified waxes and paraffins.
6. Parabens- These estrogen-mimickers have been found in breast tumors, linked to breast cancer and known tocause hormonal activity in the body. Found in deodorants, lotions, eye shadows, shampoos, facial cleansers, body washes, facial moisturizers, etc. Often listed as methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, (I pretty much avoid anything ending in "paraben").
7. Sodium Lauryl Sulfates- These commonly found chemicals have been shown to cause severe changes to the skin, though studies linking them to cancer are still debatable. Found in toothpastes, shampoos, facial cleansers, body wash, acne treatment, exfoliants, moisturizers, hair color/bleach, etc. Often listed as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium dodecyl sulfate, sulfuric acid, monodecyl ester and monododecyl ester.
8. Formaldehyde - This awful enbalmer is not just awful smelling, it is also known to cause respiratory irritation as well as cancercancer. Found in nail polish, baby soaps, eye lash adhesives, hair products, sunscreens, etc. Often listed as formaldehyde, formalin, formic aldehyde, Merthaldehyde, methanal, methyl aldehyde, oxomethane, oxymethylene.
9. Coal Tar- A known carcinogen that still makes its way in to beauty products used daily. Found in shampoo, skin treatment, anti-redness creams, bath oils, conditioners, bath salts, bath soaks, etc. Often listed as coal, tar and coal tar solution.
10. Food Allergens- Though little research is currently available on the subject, food allergies and sensitivities can cause rashes, irritation and breakouts. My suggestion is to check all labels for any ingredients that may be of concern to you.
1. Parabens were found in 18 out of 20 breast tumors in women. They also cause rapid growth of those tumors?
2. Methylparaben is exposed to sunlight it can cause skin aging and DNA.
3. Parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen which is known to play a role in breast cancer.
4. In individuals with normal skin, parabens are, for the most part, non-irritating and non-sensitizing. Parabens can, however, cause skin irritation and contact dermatitis and rosacea in individuals with paraben allergies, a small percentage of the general population.
5. Grapefruit seed extract that is promoted as a natural preservative was identified as containing artificial preservatives such as methylparaben.
6. Parabens are used as antmicrobials in our food.
WHAT CAN YOU DO:
1. Use Aluminum, paraben & chemical-free organic coconut oil deodorants.
2. Use natural toothpaste that is fluoride, paraben and sulfalte free
3. Use an all natural face wash. Dr. Bronner Magic Soaps that come in bar and liquid form are all natural. They contain organic oils such as coconut, eucalyptus, unscented baby-mild, citrus orange, rose and tea tree oil which is my favorite.
4. Use an all natural facial moisturizer such as Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut Oil Jojoba oil, and Almond oil. The Vitamin Shoppe has fantastic all natural facial moisturizers.
5. Watch what you put in your body. Check all food labels, eat organic as much as possible.
6. Use a all natural mineral foundation free of parabens and other harmful chemicals.
In this day and age we as consumers must be responsible and educated as to what is put on and in our bodies. We aren't gonna be able to avoid all of these chemicals because there in everything as well as other harmful chemicals. Don't make yourself nuts just be aware. I haven't always been on top of what I put on my body. I am only now learning about the toxic chemicals I have been putting on my body. Now I want to get this information out there to everyone so you can be better educated as well. Companies are out to make a buck at societies expense. Just be diligent and do your homework. Print out the list of toxic ingredients at the top of this post and check for those ingredients in food or cosmetics. It's a start, right? What is your feeling on this subject? I love your feedback.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
As i have explained before I am an avid reader. I was never the one for Novels and fiction books. I leaned more towards self help, alternative medicine, skincare, health and makeup books. My favorite books to read these days are self help books. There is nothing more exhilarating then finding a quote in a book that as Oprah would say, gives you that ah ah moment. I think everyone would benefit from reading a self help book, especially these days when it seems like the world couldn't be more in chaos. I like to here other peoples views on life and there advice on how enrich your life. I feel we are all here to learn from each other. This is why I write a blog in the first place. I love to share everything I have learned with the world, beauty and non-beauty related. I have a love and passion for all things beauty, no just the superficial kind. So here is a list of self help books that I think you would love. Lastly, you can go borrow these books from the library so there is no reason to run out and pay for it. I borrowed all these books from my local library. The Library should be every ones best friend in my opinion.
1. Jack Canfield: The Success Principles- How to get from where your are to where you want to be
2. Dr Wayne Dyer: Excuses Begone: How to change lifelong, self-defeating thing habits
3. Dr. Wayne Dyer: Manifest Your Destiny; The nine spiritual principles for getting everything you want
4.Dr. Wayne Dyer: The Power of Intent: Learning to co-create your world your way
This are just a couple of my favorites. There are many more but these are the best.
Check them out you won't regret it. What do you think of self help books? I love your feedback.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
I have been advised by many dermatologist over the years to use Cetaphil Cleanser because it was supposed to be a gentle face wash. Over the past year I have been doing a lot of research on skin care ingredients. I have come up with a list of ingredients that should be avoided. I will post that list in my next blog post, titled, "Toxic Skincare". I have discovered that a main ingredient in Cetaphil Cleanser also giving to me by my pediatrician for my babies eczema is Propylene Glycol. This is a known skin irritant. What the F---? Here is a list of what Propylene Glycol is in:
A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin and hair, propylene glycol works as a humectant, which causes retention of moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.
Propylene glycol is Commonly found in:
* styling mousse
* cleansing cream
* skin cream
* bubble bath
* baby powder
* after shave
* baby wipes
* Tire sealant
* Rubber cleaner
* Stain removers
* Fabric softener
* Wallpaper stripper
How can companies put this known toxic substance in our skincare and cosmetics. What is going on? Other known toxic and cancer causing substances are Parabens. Did you know that a woman was found to have parabens in a tumor taking out of her breasts. This is insane. We must educate ourselves about what we put on and in our bodies. Were so trusting of these companies not to mention Dermatologist who offer up products that are known carcinogen's. Cetaphil also contains sulfates which are extremely drying to the skin. So I ask, how gentle can Cetaphil be? Or is it another gimmick at the cost of our health. I suggest going to the whole foods store or The Vitamin Shoppe for healthy toxic free products. Do your homework and don't just put any product on your body. I will list some natural toxic free cleansers I found at The Vitamin Shoppe in my next post about Toxic Skincare. What do you think? I would love your feedback.
Thursday, March 10, 2011
I have been looking all my life for the perfect mud mask and I have found it! It's called Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask and that's exactly what it is a beauty secret. It comes in powder form to be mixed with Organic Apple Cider Vinegar which is another miracle for skin. There is only one ingredient, 100% pure Bentonite Clay. The product is touted the world's most powerful facial and that is exactly what it is. The first time I used it the blackheads on my pores were gone! I am serious! It pulls all the impurities out of the skin and then closes the pore. The apple cider vinegar normalizes the PH in your skin. This is all natural and free of chemicals, preservatives, fragrance, parabens ect.. Just the way I like it. I bought the clay at The Vitamin Shoppe for $7.16. It is cheap and effective which is also how I like my products to be. I am on a mission to eliminate all unnatural skin care products I own and incorporate all natural skin care. This masks is great for oily and acne skin. Dry skin can also benefit from this product as well because it improves circulation to the face. It's also healing so you can use it on bug bites, stings and poison ivy. I would definitely recommend trying this product it is a fantastic mud mask for once a week. Go check out your local Vitamin Shoppe, you won't be disappointed.