Thursday, February 9, 2012
Supplements for healthy clear skin
I am obsessed with skincare and anti-aging. I am also a self proclaimed health nut. I believe that inner health is the way to beautiful skin. I have studied numerous Alternative Medicine Journals and books. Here is a list of supplements that help skin look its best. Today's list will be supplements for acne. This will be an on going series. The next post will be on food for acne, microdermabrasion for acne scars, the best skin care products for acne, and natural ways to cure acne.
ACNE: Acne is an inflammatory condition. It is also a response to an imbalance in the body. Here is a list of supplements I have researched for acne.
1. Omega 3 Fatty Acids- you can get this from fish oil, flax seed oil or evening primrose oil. You can take up to 5 grams of Omega 3 Fatty acids daily.
2. Saw Palmetto- This is a herb that is used for acne, baldness. This herb blocks excessive DHT of the sebaceous glands, which causes over production of oil and in turn causes acne. Take 160 mg daily.
3. Vitex (chasteberry)- This is an excellent hormone balancer to reduce acne formation. Take 160 mg daily.
4. Zinc- Zinc is one of the best minerals used for the treatment of acne. It works to reduce the build-up of DHT and promotes skin healing. Do not use zinc sulfate which is not readily absorbed. Try 50 mg of zinc gluconate daily for 3 months then cut down to 30 mg for prolonged use.
5.Burdock Root- Burdock root works as a blood purifier and detoxifier. It also has hormone-balancing properties. Take it for a minimum of 8 weeks.
6 Milk Thistle- Milk Thistle supports your liver in detoxification. Take 200 mg twice a day.
7. Cod liver Oil- This one is my favorite. It makes your skin glow and your hair shiny. It contains vitamin A which is needed for proper skin turn over and vitamin d which we all know is vital to our health.
8 B Complex- B vitamins are essential for healthy skin. They promote hair and nail growth. It improves blood flow to the skin and is important for healthy skin tone.
9. Chromium Picolinate. Chromium helps with blood sugar regulation which is an important factor in acne. Acne is sometimes called skin diabetes. A rise in blood sugar causes your hormones to rise which in turns causes sebum production to go in to over drive. Chromium balances your blood sugar which makes it an excellent supplement in the fight against acne.
10. Probiotics- Probiotics replenish essential bacteria to reduce outbreaks. It balances out healthy bacteria in your colon. Fewer bad bacteria= fewer toxins= better skin!
If you have any questions on any supplements I have listed, feel free to ask. My mission is to help every one have the clear healthy skin they deserve.